A classic Italian sandwich made vegan with these delicious and soft, homemade rolls and super filling marinara sauce. The chicken or eggplant in this parmesan is replaced with a thick slice of breaded tofu topped with vegan cheese and sauce.
Roasted Tofu Parmesan Sandwiches [Vegan]
To Make the Rolls:
- 1 1/2 cups warm water
- 2 tablespoons instant yeast
- 1 tablespoon raw sugar
- 2 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup semolina flour
- 2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
To Make the Roasted Veggie Marinara:
- 2 15-ounce cans crushed tomatoes
- 1 15-ounce can tomato sauce
- 4-ounces tomato paste (roughly half+ a small can)
- 1 zucchini
- 1 white onion
- 5 cloves garlic
- 2 cups chopped broccoli, zucchini, or chard/spinach/kale
- 1 large carrot
- 2 tablespoons raw sugar
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- Herbs (fresh if possible): thyme, basil, oregano,
- Herbs de Provence
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
To Make the Tofu Parmesan:
- 1 block tofu, extra firm, pressed
- Garlic powder
- Olive oil
- Vegan mozzarella
- For the tofu, all you'll need to do is press, season (garlic powder, sea salt, olive oil), bread (cornmeal), and roast your tofu for about 25 minutes at 500°F, flipping twice or thrice.
- Mix the dough ingredients together, and allow the dough to rise until doubled in bulk (at least an hour, probably 2 in most climates).
- Then turn it out on a floured board, divide into 8 equal portions, shape into rolls, and allow them to rise again for about 20 minutes.
- Sprinkle some coarse sea salt on top and then bake at 375°F. for about 15 minutes until golden brown.
- Slice and toast ever so lightly before serving.
- Arrange the veggies on a cookie sheet with a few tablespoons of olive oil, sea salt, black pepper, and a 1/2 t. smoked paprika. Then roast at 450°F - 500°F for about 30 minutes or until well-browned, flipping occasionally.
- Combine all the tomato products in a large saucepan, and bring them up to temperature, medium-low.
- Add the veggies and stir. Season to your tastes, and let it all simmer for about 30 minutes.
- Blend sauce in upright blender or immersion blender.