You'll never need another mozzarella cheese sauce as long as you have this. Made from cashews, this thick, creamy cheese sauce is perfect wherever you would normally use mozzarella. Dollop it over pizza, stuff it into calzones, add it to baked ziti, or add it between layers of lasagna. When baked, it browns slightly, giving you a delightful crust that everyone will be fighting over.
Cashew Mozzarella Cheese Sauce [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 1/2 cups raw cashews (soaked for at least 4 hours)
- 1 cup water
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons corn starch
- Soak the cashews for at least 4 hours or overnight.
- Add all ingredients to blender and blend until smooth.
- Pour it over pizza or nachos and bake. The cornstarch makes the sauce firm slightly while baking and it develops a nicely baked crust.
- Will only last about three days in the refrigerator, but can be kept in the freezer for about a month. It just needs to be totally defrosted before you use it.
Adapted from Chloe’s Vegan Italian Kitchen.