Homemade tortillas are fun to make and delicious to taste. They are really cheap to buy, but they are even cheaper to make. Once you try fresh, homemade tortillas you will throw practical out the window and start mixing some dough.
Roasted Red Pepper Corn Tortillas [Vegan]
- 2 red peppers
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 1/4 cup AP flour
- 1 1/4 cup cornmeal, fine ground
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- 3 tablespoons water
- 1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- First, roast your red peppers and garlic on the same pan.
- Once your peppers have cooled and you've removed the skins, add all ingredients to your food processor and mix until they are well incorporated. Add a little more water should you need. The dough should like clumpy, but when easily able to form together when you push it together.
- Next, divide it into 10-12 balls. Cover them with a wet towel and let them sit for 10 minutes.
- Next, begin rolling them out. Roll them out on a floured surface nice and thin ... as thin as you can go without breaking them.
- Heat a frying pan with a touch of oil in it. Lay your tortillas in it and fry it for 2-3 minutes on both sides or until it starts to brown. As one tortillas is frying, I roll out my next one. This way, they don't dry out.
- Serve them immediately. If you plan on saving them, let them cool under a towel then pack them in a sealed bag until you are ready to use.