This is a rich and nourishing dish, full of flavor and goodness. Vibrant red tomatoes and bell peppers are combined with roasted garlic, spring onions, and dried herbs of your choice into a smooth and savory sauce. Serve this easy dish on busy days, topped with nutritional yeast, black pepper, and fresh basil.
Roasted Red Pepper and Tomato Pasta [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 4 large red peppers, cored and chopped
- 10-12 tomatoes
- 6-8 leaves of fresh basil
- 3 garlic cloves
- 2 spring onion stalks, chopped
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 teaspoon rice malt syrup
- Dried mixed herbs, to taste
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 cups buckwheat pasta
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Rinse, clean, and chop the red peppers and tomatoes, and lay them on a lined baking tray.
- Garnish with a little salt, pepper, and mixed dried herbs.
- Once the oven is finished preheating, put in the tray and roast for 10 minutes.
- While they're roasting, peel and chop the garlic and spring onion, and add to the tray. Drizzle the tray with the olive oil and allow to roast for a further 10 minutes.
- Bring a pot of water to the boil, add a pinch of salt, and add the buckwheat pasta. Cook as per instructions on the packet.
- Remove the tray of vegetables from the oven, and allow to stand for a couple of minutes.
- Add all into a high-speed blender, and blend until a smooth, but thick sauce has formed. Add in the rice malt syrup, and blend further to combine.
- Once the pasta is cooked, remove, drain and rinse with cold water. Give the pasta pot a quick rinse, and add the pasta back.
- Stir through the vibrant tomato sauce and heat gently on the stovetop.
- Garnish with fresh basil, nutritional yeast, and salt and pepper, to taste.