The quiche begins with a delicious sweet potato crust. It's then topped with cheesy, earthy tofu filling and is studded with juicy cherry tomatoes and roasted peppers. Comfort on a plate.
Roasted Pepper and Tomato Sweet Potato Quiche [Vegan]
For the Crust:
- 3 cups grated sweet potato
- 2 tablespoons melted vegan butter
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt and pepper
For the Filling:
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 2 red bell peppers, or color of your choice
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 14-ounce block firm tofu
- 2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 3 tablespoons hummus
- 3 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 3/4-1 teaspoon fine grain sea salt
- Black pepper, to taste
- Red pepper flakes, optional
- Grate sweet potatoes and squeeze until dry. In a large bowl, mix sweet potatoes with 2 tablespoons oil, salt, and pepper. Oil a pie dish, and arrange sweet potatoes in the shape of a pie crust.
- Arrange whole peppers and cherry potatoes on a baking sheet. Drizzle with oil and roast on high heat, 450°F, until the skin on the sweet potatoes begins to scorch in places, approximately 25 minutes.
- While crust is baking, coat a baking sheet with aluminum foil. Arrange tomatoes and whole bell peppers, drizzle with 2 tablespoons olive oil and a healthy pinch each salt and pepper and toss to coat. Place in the 450°F oven with the crust. Continue baking after crust is done, turning bell peppers over to ensure all sides darken evenly. The crust is ready when the tomatoes have burst in parts and the bell peppers have blackened fairly evenly, about 30 minutes in total. Place bell peppers into a plastic bag, seal, and allow to sweat for about 10-15 minutes. Peel peppers and cut them into strips.
- To prepare quiche filling, add drained tofu to a food processor with nutritional yeast, hummus, garlic cloves, cumin, sea salt, and pepper. Add red pepper flakes, if you'd like.
- Add roasted peppers and tomatoes to a mixing bowl and top with the tofu mixture. Toss to coat. Fill quiche crust with mixture, spreading it into an even layer and smoothing the top.
- Bake quiche at 375°F degrees for a total of 30–40 minutes, until top appears golden brown and firm. If the crust browns too quickly, loosely cover the edges with foil.
- Let cool briefly before serving.