This roasted eggplant is the perfect meal for the weeknights because it is elegantly simple and takes very little time to cook. The eggplants are roasted in the oven and then served with some wilted spring green, spicy Mexican rice, and a squeeze of lime to make all of the flavors pop.
Roasted Eggplant With Spicy Rice and Spring Greens [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 whole eggplant
- 2 tablespoons garlic oil
- 8.8 ounces Mexican rice, cooked
- 2 bunches of spring greens, stalk removed
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Squeeze of lime
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Slice each eggplant lengthways and arrange on a baking tray.
- Drizzle them with oil and sprinkle with a little salt.
- Roast them in the oven for 30-40 minutes or until the eggplant is brown on the top and gooey in the middle.
- In the meantime, reheat/cook your rice, according to the recipe or pack instructions. If you’re cooking your rice from scratch, it’ll take you around 30 minutes, so start when you put the eggplant in the oven. If you’re using a packet of rice, it’ll probably take 5-10 minutes, so wait until the eggplants are almost cooked before starting.
- When the eggplants are almost cooked, also bring some water to the boil and add the spring greens and a little salt.
- Cook them for 4-5 minutes or until they're tender and then drain them using a colander.
- Serve it all up together – the roasted eggplants, the spicy rice, and the spring greens.
- Add some cracked black pepper taste and a squeeze of lime.