Delicata is small, the skin is edible, and the seeds are easy to clean out. It pairs perfectly with the meaty mushrooms and bitter kale. The cream sauce is delectable and the mushrooms add a savory earthy element!
Roasted Delicata Squash With Mushrooms and Kale In Creamy White Wine Sauce [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 whole delicata squash
- 1 big shallot
- 1 big carrot
- 1 big piece of celery
- 6 whole shiitake mushrooms
- 1 handful beech mushrooms about equal to the amount of shiitake
- 1 handful fresh kale
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 1/4 cup cashew cream
- Salt to taste
- Water to thin out sauce
- Olive oil to brush the squash
- Pre-heat the oven to 400°F. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper. Slice the delicata squash into 1/4-inch rings. Clean out the seeds. Lightly brush each side with olive oil and sprinkle with salt. Roast for 20 to 25 minutes until they are starting to brown.
- Thinly slice the shallots and add to a pan with sides. Peel and slice the carrots into rounds and add to the shallots. Slice the celery into similar size pieces and to the shallots. Cook the vegetables on medium heat until they start to soften.
- Slice the shiitakes into thin slices and pull apart the beech mushrooms. Add to the pan and cook down for a few minutes until the mushrooms start to release some water.
- Chop the kale and add to the pan.
- Next, add the white wine to deglaze the pan and cook for a few minutes until the wine has reduced. Whisk in the cashew cream and add a bit of water to thin it out and turn it into a sauce. Keep whisking the sauce until it is the consistency you like.
- Arrange half of the squash on a plate and cover with sauce. Top with the rest of the squash. Enjoy!