Celeriac may not be the prettiest root vegetable, but it has a delicious, sweet, nutty flavor that goes so well with fresh herbs, like in this Mediterranean-inspired dish with lentils and mint. There are a few steps to this recipe, but it's well worth the effort and time! This dish works great as a main served with salad and pickled vegetables, but it would also work well as a side dish or part of a mezze.
Roasted Celeriac With Lentils, Mint, and Tahini [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Roasted Celeriac With Lentils, Mint, and Tahini [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 large celeriac (approximately 2.2 pounds)
- A large bunch of fresh mint, chopped
- 2 tablespoons tahini
- 3/4 cup dry green/puy lentils, well rinsed
- 6 sprigs of fresh thyme or 1 tsp of dried thyme
- 3 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons good quality olive oil
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar or fire cider
- Juice of 1/2 a lemon
- Salt and pepper, to taste
How to Prepare Roasted Celeriac With Lentils, Mint, and Tahini [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- First, add the lentils, thyme, and bay leaves to a pan. Add plenty of water and boil gently until just cooked through (20-30 minutes depending on the lentils). They should retain their shape.
- While the lentils are cooking prepare the celeriac. Chop into 1-inch pieces and parboil in salted water for 6-8 minutes until just soft. Drain and add to a deep baking pan with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, salt, and pepper. Then roast in the oven for around 30-40 minutes until crisp and golden.
- Once the lentils are cooked, drain them well and remove the thyme sprigs and bay leaves. In a bowl, mix the warm lentils, with 1 tablespoon of olive oil, the vinegar, lemon juice, and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- In a small bowl, mix the tahini with 2-3 tablespoons of warm water until smooth and pourable.
- Once the celeriac is cooked removed from the oven and mash some of the pieces in the pan for a good texture.
- Then divide the lentil mixture evenly over the celeriac. Generously scatter over the chopped mint and drizzle with half of the tahini dressing.
- Serve the rest of the tahini individually at the table with even more chopped mint.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.