The perfect side dish for early fall. Carrots caramelize with the figs with a delectable just-sweet-enough glaze, all roasted in one pan. Here is a colorful, balanced side-dish that excites the palate rather than weigh it down. The perfect combination of roasted veggies and fruits with nuts, herbs, and a zippy glaze.
Roasted Carrots With Fresh Figs, Pomegranate Glaze and Pistachios [Vegan, Grain-Free]
Ingredients You Need for Roasted Carrots With Fresh Figs, Pomegranate Glaze and Pistachios [Vegan, Grain-Free]
- 2 bunches carrots, small-medium size, about 20
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1/8 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly cracked black pepper
- 1 teaspoon extra virgin olive oil
- 6-8 medium fresh figs, ripe but firm, cut in half lengthwise
- 2 tablespoon pomegranate molasses
- 1 tablespoon vegan honey
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil (can also use butter or extra virgin olive oil)
- 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon fresh garlic, peeled and minced
- 1/4 cup shelled pistachios, chopped coarsely
- 1 teaspoon fresh herbs, thyme and rosemary, chopped
How to Prepare Roasted Carrots With Fresh Figs, Pomegranate Glaze and Pistachios [Vegan, Grain-Free]
To Make the Carrots:
- Preheat oven to 400°F.
Lightly peel the carrots. Cut stems to 3-inch lengths. Wash and dry well.
- Place the carrots in a rimmed baking tray. Add 1 tablespoon olive oil, salt, and pepper. Mix in well.
- Roast in the oven for 15 minutes, or until just turning golden and caramelizing underneath. Turn over with tongs.
- Roast 5 minutes longer. Remove tray. (Baking time will vary with differently sized carrots – if larger, cut them in half).
To Make the Glaze:
- Mix together in a small glass dish; pomegranate syrup, honey, coconut oil, cinnamon, and garlic. Place in a microwave for 15 seconds to blend and liquify.
- Reduce heat to 375°F.
Move carrots over slightly – add 1 teaspoon of the olive oil to a side of the pan – add the figs, cut side down.
Brush all but 1 tablespoon of the glaze over the carrots and figs. Scatter with pistachios.
- Roast for 10 minutes until the figs and carrots are all glazed and tender.
Remove from the oven and scatter with the fresh herbs and the remaining tablespoon of the glaze and serve.
- Can be made a day ahead. Add a drizzle of water, and cover with tin foil until just heated through.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.