Rice paper bacon? It might sound strange but it's surprisingly delicious! Chipotle powder coupled with brown sugar gives this recipe a great smoky, barbecue flavor that pairs perfectly with the refreshing crunch of water chestnut. Try this one at your next barbecue!
Rice Paper Bacon Wrapped Water Chestnuts [Vegan]
For the Water Chestnuts:
- 1 8-ounce can of sliced or whole water chestnuts drained
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon tamari
For the Rice Paper Bacon:
- 2 rice paper sheets
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 teaspoon tamari
- A pinch of salt
- 1/4 teaspoon chipotle powder
- 1/2 teaspoon sweet paprika powder
- 1 teaspoon maple syrup
- A few drops of liquid smoke
- Mix the brown sugar and tamari in a small bowl. Add water chestnuts and let marinate for 10 to 15 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 355°F
- Mix all the ingredients, except the rice paper, for the rice paper bacon in a bowl and stir with a fork or whisk until combined well.
- Soak a sheet of rice paper in some warm water for around 20 seconds. Then slice into 10 pieces. This will be five slices down and one across.
- Dip one piece of the rice paper into the rice paper bacon mixture, then wrap it around a water chestnut and pierce with a toothpick to hold it in place. Do this with the remaining pieces of rice paper.
- Bake them on a baking tray lined with baking paper for 15-20 minutes until crispy.