Its the season of rhubarb so why not make up a classic dessert of rhubarb crumble. Except of course this crumble is healthier, high in protein, vegan, low in sugar and gluten-free. It's so healthy you could even have it for breakfast! This Rhubarb and Blackberry Crumble will be such a crowd-pleaser at your next get-together. You have to try it.
Rhubarb and Blackberry Crumble [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Crumble:
- 3 1/2 ounces Oats
- 1 1/2 ounces Vanilla Protein (optional sub with extra ground almonds)
- 1 3/4 ounces Ground Almonds
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons sugar free syrup
- 1 tablespoon of low calorie/ zero calorie sugar
For the Berry Filling:
- 5.3 ounces Blackberries (fresh or frozen)
- 5 Sticks of Chopped Rhubarb
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons Zero Calorie Syrup
- Juice of 1/2 lemon
- Preheat your oven to 350°F.
- In a bowl, combine the oats, protein and ground almonds. Mix well and then add the coconut oil and syrup as well as the sugar.
- With your hands, rub the mixture between your finger tips to combine the crumble topping, until the coconut oil and syrup has been absorbed evenly by the crumble. Place the topping aside whilst you prepare the filling.
- Heat a small saucepan on a low/medium heat with a little coconut oil or low calorie cooking spray.
- Add your rhubarb berries, lemon juice, sweetener/sugar replacement, cinnamon and nutmeg.
- Simmer the rhubarb, constantly stirring until softened and then add the berries and cook for a further few minutes.
- Pour the berry filling into the dish so that is evenly covers the bottom
- Sprinkle your crumble topping over the berry filling so that it is completely covered forming an even layer.
- Place the crumble into the oven and bake for 15 minutes until the topping is slightly golden.
- Remove from the oven and serve warm.