This British style Vegan Rhubarb & Amaretto Crumble is the perfect dessert to enjoy after a plant-based meal. Sweet and slightly tart, it will conquer your palate no doubt.
Rhubarb and Amaretto Crumble [Vegan]
For the Filling:
- 3 1/3 cups Fresh Rhubarb
- 1/2 cup Caster Sugar
- 2 tablespoons Almond Liqueur Disaronno
- 1/2 teaspoon Vanilla Extract
For the Crumble:
- 1 1/4 cups All Purpose Flour
- 1/3 cup Vegan Margarine
- 1/4 cup Brown Sugar
- 1/2 cup Ground Almonds
- 1/3 cup Almond Shavings
- 1 tablespoon Almond Extract
- 1 teaspoon Baking Powder
- Wash and chop the rhubarb into 1-inch slices.
- Transfer in a pan, with sugar, vanilla extract, and amaretto liqueur. Cover with a lid and cook until the rhubarb is soft but with still a bit of a bite (max 5 mins). Set aside to cool.
- Preheat the oven to 390°F
- For the crumble add in a bowl the flour, the brown sugar, the ground almonds, and the vegan margarine (soften at room temperature). Mix everything together with the fingertips to a coarse sand-like texture. Add the almond shavings, the almond essence, and baking powder, and incorporate well to the mixture.
- Pour the cooked rhubarb into a 7-8 inch round ceramic dish.
- Evenly spread the amaretto crumble over and bake for 25-30 minutes or until golden brown.
- Serve the vegan rhubarb and amaretto crumble warm with icing sugar on top and some silky smooth vanilla custard.