Pears are a delicious and healthy fruit best eaten fresh. But every now and then, it’s nice to do something a little special, and the holiday season is one of those times. These pears are poached in red wine and spices. You can serve them as is or with a scoop of vegan vanilla ice cream or vegan cream.
Red Wine Poached Pears [Vegan, Grain-Free]
- 4-6 ripe but firm pears
- 1 bottle of dark fruity red wine
- 1 cup of water
- 1/2 of one lemon
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar cane
- 1 cinnamon stick
- 1 star anise
- 3 cloves
- Ground pepper, to taste
- Peel the pears and slice off the bottoms so that they can stand up. Leave the stems on to look pretty.
- Put all ingredients (except the pears) into a deep and narrow pot that will fit the pears lying sideways.
- Squeeze the lemon juice into the mixture and put the rest of the lemon in.
- Bring the wine and spice mixture to the boil and simmer for 5 minutes covered.
- Add the pears, placing them sideways, so that they are submerged into the wine mixture.
- With lid on, simmer for 15 to 20 minutes. From time to time, gently turn the pears closer to the surface.
- When done, the pears should be tender when pierced with a fork. Do not overcook them or else they will be too soft and mushy.
- When done, take the pot off the heat. Remove the lid and let the pears cool in the wine mixture. When cool, cover and put the pears and wine in the refrigerator to marinate for 2-3 days. They will turn dark red. Serve.