This risotto is rich, decadent, and creamy, but it contains no cream at all — not even cashew cream! It gets its amazing texture by cooking red bell peppers and then puréeing them until smooth. Not only does it make the texture amazing, it makes the flavor amazing, along with fresh rosemary, ginger, and sautéed onion. If you aren't a fan of fresh ginger, try adding different herbs or spices, such as smoked paprika.
Red Pepper Risotto [Vegan]
- 2 small red bell peppers
- Heaping 3/4 cup brown rice
- 1/2 small yellow onion or 1 shallot
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 cups, plus 1 3/4 tablespoons vegetable broth
- Fresh ginger, to taste
- 2 springs of rosemary
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- The night before, wash the rice well soak for 12-24 hours. This step is not mandatory but is recommended to shorten cooking time.
- Roast the red peppers over an open flame or under the grill, then close them in a paper bag, let them cool, and peel.
- Remove the seeds and filaments inside, then add to a pot with just enough vegetable broth to cover and a purée with an immersion blender. If needed, add more broth.
- Cut the onion into thin slices, add to the pan with half the rosemary, and sauté in 2 tablespoons of olive oil until the onion is transparent.
- Drain the rice and toast it in the pan with the onion, then add 2/3 tablespoons of puréed peppers and begin to cook, adding hot vegetable broth a little bit at a time. After fifteen minutes, add the remaining pepper purée and cook. Just before it's ready, add the grated fresh ginger (do not overdo it) and chopped rosemary and then cook for 5 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and add olive oil to taste.
- Serve with freshly ground pepper and chopped hazelnuts, if desired.