This recipe was born by chance with the intent of preparing a quick dish. But the taste of these croquettes was so good, that I decided to share the recipe with you.
Red Lentil Rice Croquettes [Vegan]
- 21.1-ounces of water
- 5.3-ounces of long grain whole grain rice
- 5.3-ounces of decorticated red lentils
- 14.1-ounces of cauliflower
- 2 carrots
- 1 onion
- 1 stalk of celery
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 sprig of rosemary
- 1 piece of wakame seaweed of about 2 cm
- 3 tablespoons of oil
- 3 sage leaves
- 1 tablespoon of curry
- 1/2 teaspoon of cardamom powder
- Rice flour as needed
- Corn breadcrumbs to taste
- Soy sauce to taste
- Whole sea salt to taste
- Rinse the rice under running water and then soak it for 6 hours with 10.6-ounces of water and the wakame seaweed.
- Transfer everything into a thick-bottomed steel pot and bring to a boil. Add 1 pinch of salt and cardamom. Cover and lower the flame. Cook until the water has completely absorbed.
- Prepare a base of olive oil in a saucepan and sauté celery carrot, sage onion, and finely chopped rosemary.
- Rinse the lentils for a long time under the jet of cold running water and then add them to the vegetables. Add the curry and whole bay leaf. Toast the lentils over a high flame for a couple of minutes, then cover with 10.6-ounces of water. Bring to a boil, cover and cook until completely absorbed. At the end of cooking, remove the bay leaf.
- Cook the steamed cauliflower owls.
- Add the rice to the lentils, the cauliflower crushed with a fork and seasoned with the tamari. Let it cool in the fridge.
- Add as much rice flour as needed until you get a firm mixture that does not stick to your hands.
- Form some croquettes, pass them in breadcrumbs and bake at 180 degrees until golden brown.