Difficult, complicated, expensive, hard to find and exotic ingredients ... Those are some of the ways I've heard raw recipes described. But raw can also be beautiful and simple. This is a super easy, raw and vegan recipe that is also relatively inexpensive to prepare. The ingredients cost came to $1.85 per serving by shopping at my local grocery, and everything that goes into this dish should be easy to find just about anywhere.
Chocolate Cashew Tarts [Vegan]
yields 2 tarts
- 1/2 cup almonds (or cashews)
- 1/2 cup raisins
- 1/2 cup cashews
- 1/4 cup water for blending
- 3 heaping tablespoons raw cacao powder (or carob powder)
- 3 tablespoons agave (or to taste)
- pinch salt
- In a food processor fitted with an "S" blade, process the almonds and raisins until the mixture begins to stick together.
- Press the mix into the bottom and sides of two five inch tart pans, or plastic wrap lined cupcake tins, to form the crust.
- In a small blender, puree the water and almonds until very smooth.
- Add the remaining ingredients and puree until smooth.
- Divide between the two crusts and fill to the top.
- Add some chopped almonds as a topping, and refrigerate for at least an hour before serving, to allow the tarts to cool and firm.