Cabbage and beets are truly under-appreciated vegetables. Which is a shame, because they are both tailor-made for Thanksgiving!
Braised Red Cabbage with Beets [Vegan]
- 3 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 large leeks, thinly sliced
- 1 medium head red cabbage, thinly sliced
- 3 medium red beets, shredded on the large holes of a box grater
- 1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1½ cups water
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup, or more to taste
- 1½ cups full-bodied red wine (I used a Primitivo)
- ¼ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon salt
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat the olive oil over medium heat in a large pot. Add the leeks and cook, for about 3 minutes, until leeks are softened. Stir in the cabbage and cook for 3 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the remaining ingredients. Bring to a boil. Cover and simmer gently for 25-40 minutes or until the cabbage as tender as you like it. Taste it and see if you think it needs a little extra oomph – if it does, toss in a tablespoon or two of balsamic vinegar during the last minute of cooking time.
- Beet Recipes