Curious as I am about raw foods, I decided to give this recipe a shot. I didn't really know where to start and you know what, that's a great start in itself. I rounded up some staple ingredients of raw cuisine and set to it. And to my surprise and culinary delight, it all turned out quite delicious.
Raw Spiced Orange Thumbprint Cookies [Vegan]
- 3/4 cup raw almonds
- 1 tbsp almond butter
- 3/4 cup chopped dates
- 10 tsp water, depending on consistency
- 2 tsp mixed spices (ground cinnamon, ginger, nutmeg and cloves)
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp stevia (optional; you can also use agave if you prefer)
- 1/2 cup l freshly squeezed orange
- juice zest of one orange
- 1/2 cup raw cashews, soaked for ten minutes
- 1 tbsp agave syrup
- In a food processor, start pulsing the almonds to a fine powder. Then add the almond butter, chopped dates, spices, stevia and a tiny bit of water and keep processing until it begins to resemble dough. You may not need to use up all the water depending on how good your blender/food processor is.
- Roll the dough into 12 golf-sized balls.
- With your thumb make a print in the centre, a little well if you will.
- Place all the cookies on a cookie sheet and set aside.
- Next, prepare the filling: Blend together the orange juice, zest, cashews and agave until smooth.
- Spoon a little filling in every cookie. You will have plenty of cream filling left, so you can save some to drizzle over ice cream or pudding.
- Refrigerate the cookies for at least 30 minutes, preferably a couple of hours, before you serve.