These raw vegan parmesan shards will surely elevate any dish! A little sprinkle takes anything to the next level, adding a burst of cheesy flavor and some pizzazz to the plating. You can eat them as a crunchy, cheesy snack or break them into larger shards to top your pasta, risotto, and salad dishes.
Raw Parmesan Shards [Vegan, Grain-Free]
- 1 cup raw cashews
- 6 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 3 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons chickpea miso or 1 teaspoon regular miso
- A pinch of turmeric
- 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 plus 1/8 cup of water
- Soak the cashews for 2-4 hours. Rinse well and drain.
- Add all ingredients into a blender and blend until it becomes a smooth cheese sauce.
- Line a dehydrator tray with a mesh sheet and a silicon sheet. Spread the cheese sauce thinly using a spatula, about 1/16-inch. It will require two trays.
- Dry at 115°F for about 12 hours in the dehydrator.
- Take the trays out to flip the sheets of cheese. Pick up the cheese-covered silicon sheets off of the trays and line the trays with new silicon sheets. Flip the silicon sheets with the cheese upside down and place on top of the new sheets. Carefully peel off the top silicon sheets from the cheese.
- Put back into the dehydrator for another 6 hours until completely dry.
- Once dry, break into small shards