Chocolate and orange is one of the best citrusy and sweet combinations that is reminiscent of fall, winter, and seasonal holidays. This cake recipe lets you enjoy the tasty combo while still being healthy! The orange juice and orange peel give a lovely refreshing citrusy note that goes so well with other flavors.
Raw Orange and Chocolate Cake [Vegan, Grain-Free]
For the Crust:
- 2 cups almonds
- 1 cup shredded coconut
- 3/4 cup dates, pitted and soaked in water for 20 minutes
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup or agave
- 3 tablespoons raw cacao powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
- Pinch of salt
For the Filling:
- 2 cups cashews, soaked 3-8 hours in water
- 3/4 cup fresh orange juice
- Grated orange zest from two oranges
- 1/2 cup maple syrup or agave
- 3 tablespoons coconut oil, melted
For the Topping:
- Cacao nibs
- Grated orange zest
- Prepare 9-inch round cake springform and line it with baking paper or transparent kitchen foil.
- To make the crust, first put the almonds in your food processor and process until you get finely ground almonds. Add shredded coconut, dates, maple syrup, cacao powder, cinnamon, and salt and continue mixing until you get the compact mixture.
- Transfer the mixture into prepared cake pan and use your fingers to press it into the bottom of the pan. Set aside until you prepare the filling.
- To make the filling, put all the filling ingredients into your blender and blend for about 2 minutes until it's smooth and creamy.
- Pour the filling into the chocolate crust and decorate with cacao nibs and grated orange zest.
- Put the cake in the freezer for at least 2 hours or until the filling sets and than transfer to the refrigerator.
- Once the filling is set and the cake is well cooled, you can transfer it to a cake stand and cut the slices using a sharp knife.
- Keep in the refrigerator until serving.