Perfectly tart with a crust that tastes like a combination of graham cracker crust and shortbread cookie, you're going to become obsessed with these raw lemon bars. In addition to being ridiculously refreshing and delicious, these bars contain chia seeds and cashews making them a pretty nutritious dessert! Simply set them in the refrigerator or freezer, and enjoy!
Raw Lemon Bars With Chia Seeds [Vegan]
For the Crust:
- 3/4 cup mulberries
- 3/4 cup gluten-free oats
- 1/2 cup pecans
- 1 large date
- A pinch of salt
For the Lemon Layer:
- 1 cup cashews, soaked for 2 hours
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 2 tablespoons apples, no peel
- Juice from 1 1/2-2 lemons
- 2 tablespoons coconut nectar
- 1 tablespoon chia seeds
- 3 tablespoons maple syrup
- 2 tablespoons lemon peel
- 1 teaspoon of orange zest (optional)
- Coconut Flakes (optional)
- Soak your cashews for 2 hours. If you don't have a high-speed blender, soak them longer.
To Make the Crust:
- Pulse in a food processor or high-speed blender. The crust should stick together when you press it between your fingers but should be crumbly looking.
- Press into an 8x8 glass dish.
To Make the Lemon Layer:
- Purée all the ingredients together and pour into the dish. It should have a pancake batter texture or slightly thicker. If it is too thick, add more lemon juice or coconut nectar.
- Refrigerate or freeze for at least 4 hours to be fully set.
To Make the Topping:
- Purée the coconut flakes and sprinkle over the lemon squares.