Tangy jackfruit and Indian spices come together for this delicious and flavorful curry. The fleshy texture of raw fruit makes for a filling, meaty entrée. Serve with rice and plenty of flat bread.
Raw Jackfruit Curry [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Raw Jackfruit Curry [Vegan]
- 500 grams raw jackfruit
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 green chilis, chopped
- 4 cloves
- 1/4 cinnamon stick
- 1 maratha moggu (optional)
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper powder, plus more if needed
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
How to Prepare Raw Jackfruit Curry [Vegan]
- Apply coconut oil over your hands and knife. Remove the skin and cut jackfruit into small pieces. Put those pieces in water to avoid brown coloring. Heat a pressure cooker and add washed jackfruit pieces along with a little salt and turmeric powder. Pour enough water until the pieces are submerged.
- Close the lid and pressure cook on low-medium flame for 1 whistle. Remove from the heat and let the pressure settle down. Drain the water completely and keep the cooked pieces aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a pan. Add cloves, cinnamon, bay leaf, and maratha moggu. Add chopped onions and green chilis. Sauté for a bit. Add tomatoes and mash the pulp. Add ginger-garlic paste and stir well. Add cooked jackfruit and stir.
- Add pepper powder, cumin powder, and coriander powder. Stir well everything. Add salt to taste and cook it covered for 10-15 minutes. Sprinkle lemon juice and remove from the heat. Serve hot.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.