Tangy jackfruit and Indian spices come together for this delicious and flavorful curry. The fleshy texture of raw fruit makes for a filling, meaty entrée. Serve with rice and plenty of flat bread.
Raw Jackfruit Curry [Vegan]
- 500 grams raw jackfruit
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1 tomato, chopped
- 1/2 tablespoon ginger-garlic paste
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric powder
- 2 green chilis, chopped
- 4 cloves
- 1/4 cinnamon stick
- 1 maratha moggu (optional)
- 1 bay leaf
- 3 teaspoons coriander powder
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper powder, plus more if needed
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- Salt, to taste
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- Apply coconut oil over your hands and knife. Remove the skin and cut jackfruit into small pieces. Put those pieces in water to avoid brown coloring. Heat a pressure cooker and add washed jackfruit pieces along with a little salt and turmeric powder. Pour enough water until the pieces are submerged.
- Close the lid and pressure cook on low-medium flame for 1 whistle. Remove from the heat and let the pressure settle down. Drain the water completely and keep the cooked pieces aside.
- Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a pan. Add cloves, cinnamon, bay leaf, and maratha moggu. Add chopped onions and green chilis. Sauté for a bit. Add tomatoes and mash the pulp. Add ginger-garlic paste and stir well. Add cooked jackfruit and stir.
- Add pepper powder, cumin powder, and coriander powder. Stir well everything. Add salt to taste and cook it covered for 10-15 minutes. Sprinkle lemon juice and remove from the heat. Serve hot.