This chai is designed to make you feel good! With pungent and astringent spices, it makes for a great herbal drink on a rainy spring day.
Rainy Day Chai [Vegan]
- 6 cups water
- 2 cinnamon sticks
- 2 tablespoons fresh grated ginger
- 2 tablespoons fresh grated turmeric
- 10 cardamom pods
- 1 teaspoon whole cloves
- 5 black peppercorns
- 4 star anise pods
- 1/2 teaspoon whole allspice
- Optional: 1/4 cup dried tulsi leaves (holy basil)
- Bring the water to boil on the stove top. Add the spices and simmer for 20-25 minutes.
- Reduce heat to low and add the dried tulsi, let steep for 3-5 more minutes.
- Remove from heat and strain the liquid.
- To serve, pour the hot concentrate into a mug about 1/2 to 3/4 of the way full, then top your favorite nut or seed milk. Sweeten with a spoonful of agave.