If you want to have truly magical sushi, try this rainbow sushi. A true feast for the eyes, the vibrant rice in this sushi is colored naturally with ingredients like turmeric, beet powder, spirulina, and purple cabbage. Each roll is stuffed with roasted sweet potatoes and crisp, colorful bell peppers, but feel free to swap in your favorite ingredients.
Rainbow Unicorn Sweet Potato Sushi [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 cups uncooked sushi rice
- 1 avocado
- 1 bell pepper
- 1 cucumber
- 1 sweet potato
- Turmeric, to make yellow
- Beet powder, to make red
- Spirulina or matcha, to make green
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 piece purple cabbage, to make purple
- 5 sheets nori
- 1-2 tablespoons sugar
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 1 teaspoon gochujang, to make orange (optional)
To Make the Rice:
- Cook the sushi rice and place it in a bowl to cool and add the rice vinegar and sugar to your own taste. Mix it in using a wooden spoon (this will help prevent the rice from breaking). To make each color, you take a shallow bowl and put about 1/2 cup of rice and mix in the food coloring. Keep in mind that you just want to color the rice, so don't add too much of each food coloring otherwise you might alter the taste too much. For red
- For red, use a bit of beet powder For orange, use a mixture of turmeric and beet powder or a small amount of gochujang. For yellow, add a little bit of turmeric For green, use a little bit of spirulina and a pinch of turmeric. For blue and purple, read below.
To Make Blue and Purple Rice:
- Boil 1/4 piece of chopped cabbage in about 3 cups of water for about 30 minutes or until you're left with about 1 cup of water. Use this water to cook 1/2 cup of sushi rice and save about 3 tablespoons of the purple water to make the blue food coloring.
- Now you've got your purple rice use some of the remaining white rice you made to make blue. Add about 1 teaspoon of baking soda to the purple water and it will turn blue, now add this to the sushi rice and mix it well.
To Assemble the Sushi:
- Chop your sweet potato in strips and roast these in a preheated oven on 390°F for about 20 minutes.
- Now, chop the remaining ingredients into strips.
- Now get a bamboo roller and cover it with some plastic wrap to keep it clean. Add a sheet of nori and place strips of rice until you've got all the colors and top this with the filling. Now, roll the sushi and wet the end with a bit of water to make it sticky and place it on a platter or chopping board. Once you've rolled all your rolls, wet a sharp knife and slice your rolls.