This amazing savory pie is totally delicious and a new creative idea for dinner. Check it out and find your new favorite meal!
Radicchio Vegetable Pie With Olives and Raisins [Vegan]
- 1 3/4 cups flour
- 1 3/4 cups of whole wheat semolina
- 1 cup of water
- 3 1/2 teaspoons of brewer's yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon of barley malt (or sugar)
- 1 tablespoon of salt
- 1/2 cup of pitted black olives
- 1/3 cup of raisins
- 2 tablespoons of salted capers
- 4 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 white onion
- 2 heads of radicchio
- sweet paprika to taste (alternatively pepper)
- Dissolve the yeast in 1/2 glass of warm water with malt. Let it rest for a few minutes then add it to the 2 flours mixed with salt. Knead adding more warm water and 1 tablespoon of oil until you get a soft and elastic ball of dough. Place in a large bowl (preferably in glass or ceramic), cover with a cloth and place in a warm place to rise until doubled in volume.
- While the dough rises, take care of the filling. Cut the heads of radicchio in 2 parts from the long side, wash them and put them without draining them in the pan and cook with lid over medium heat for a few minutes. Finally drain them from the liquid.
- Soak raisins and capers in fresh water (in 2 different containers).
- In a large and low pan prepare a base with the extra virgin olive oil and the sliced leek with a pinch of salt. Cook on a low heat until the leek becomes transparent then add the well desalted capers and the drained raisins. After a few minutes turn up the heat and add the radicchio, paprika and olives. Cover and cook for another 10 minutes approximately. Let the filling cool.
- Divide the leavened dough into 2 parts and roll it out with a rolling pin to make 2 disks (the one that will go under should be larger).
- Brush the cake with oil and cover the bottom and edges with the leavened dough. Distribute the filling evenly and cover with the smaller disk. Press the edges well to seal (use the prongs of the fork). Brush with extra virgin olive oil and cook in a preheated static oven at 350°F for about 35 minutes.
- Let it cool well before removing it from the pan and cutting it.