These vegan quesadillas are made with homemade cashew cheese and chipotle cream. They’re melty, gooey, stretchy, spicy, and best of all? They take just 20 minutes to prepare, including the made from scratch cashew mozzarella! Feel like celebrating yet? You will when you taste these!
Quesadillas With Cashew Mozzarella and Chipotle Cream [Vegan]
- 1 cup raw cashews, soaked for 2 hours or boiled for 10 minutes, divided
- 1/2 small jar salsa, about 3/4 cup
- 1 1/4 cup filtered water
- 1/4 cup tapioca starch
- 1 1/2 tablespoons nutritional yeast
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon sea salt, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon white pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder (optional)
- Soak your cashews for 2 hours or overnight then drain. You can also boil them for ten minutes if you’re short on time. In a high-speed blender, combine 1/2 cup soaked cashews with the water, lemon juice, tapioca flour, nutritional yeast, garlic powder, white pepper, and 3/4 teaspoon sea salt. Blend for 1-2 minutes on high until smooth.
- Heat a saucepan over medium heat. Pour the cashew mixture into the saucepan. It will begin to form into a solid right away. Cook the cheese for 3-5 minutes until it becomes a large gooey ball in the center, stirring constantly so it cooks evenly. The cheese will remain soft and melty.
- Add the remaining 1/2 cup of soaked cashews to the blender, along with 1/4 teaspoon sea salt, salsa, and chili powder, if using. Blend on high for 2-3 minutes until smooth and creamy. Spread a large dollop of chipotle cream on one side of a tortilla. Spread a generous amount of cashew cheese evenly on a second tortilla. Combine the tortillas. In a skillet over medium heat, cook the quesadilla for 30-45 seconds on each side until the tortillas are crispy and the cheese is melty. Cut into triangles and serve with extra chipotle cream and avocado.