These pumpkin veggie burgers are nourishing and out of this world delicious. They are super simple to make and only take a few ingredients: squash, onion, beans, oats, chickpea flour, soy protein, garlic, salt, and pepper. So simple! The squash and onion create a very sweet flavor and the texture is close to perfect. If you don't like crumbly burgers that never seem to hold together or require oodles of oil to stop them sticking to the pan, then these pumpkin veggie burgers are for you. They'll keep you full and satisfied!
Pumpkin Veggie Burgers [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Pumpkin Veggie Burgers [Vegan]
- 3/4 cup finely grated squash
- 1/2 a red onion, very finely chopped
- 3/4 cup cooked red beans
- 1/3 cup oats
- 1/3 cup chickpea flour
- 1/2 cup textured soy protein
- 1 clove of garlic, grated
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- a generous pinch of black pepper
How to Prepare Pumpkin Veggie Burgers [Vegan]
- In a large bowl, use a potato masher to roughly puree the beans. Some whole beans left intact are fine.
- Add in the squash, onion, garlic, salt and pepper and mix well using a wooden spoon.
- Fold in the oats and chickpea flour, mixing well in between.
- On a chopping board using a sharp knife, reduce the size of the textured soy protein until the chunks are about pea-sized. Some larger and smaller chunks are fine. Add to the mixing bowl and mix well.
- Cover the bowl and refrigerate for at least two hours.
- When ready, form the patties. You can use your hands or, if you want them very neat, roll out the "dough" between two sheets of compostable parchment paper to about 1/2 an inch (a little under 2 cm) and use a large glass to cut out perfect circles.
- At this point, you can freeze them or cook them as follows.
- If using a non stick pan, you can simply preheat and cook the burgers for about 7-8 minutes, flipping half-way through. If you want them crispier and even more delicious, add a little bit of high quality olive oil to the pan before cooking.
- Serve as soon as ready!
Squeeze out the excess liquid from the grated squash if yours is particularly moist.
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.