Combine the delicious, robust flavor of pumpkin with the texture of chewy oatmeal cookies with these streusel bars. Made with pumpkin puree, old fashioned oats, coconut sugar, and pecans, they are a yummy combination of sweet, salty, chewy, and firm. These bars make the perfect mid-day pick-me-up, after school snack, dessert, or even holiday dessert.
Pumpkin Oatmeal Streusel Bars [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Crust and Topping:
- 1 1/4 cups oat flour (grind oats in food processor to create oat flour)
- 2 cups old fashioned oats
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar or brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup coconut oil, melted
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans (optional)
For the Filling:
- 1 15-ounce can pumpkin purée
- 3/4 cup full-fat coconut milk
- 1/4 cup maple syrup
- 2 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Line an 8 by 8-inch or 7 by 11-inch baking dish with parchment paper and set aside.
- Mix all of your crust and topping ingredients together in a large bowl: oat flour, oats, coconut sugar, cinnamon, salt, and coconut oil. Pour 2/3 of the mixture into the parchment-lined baking dish and spread evenly across. Pat mixture with fingers to pack it down. Bake for 18-20 minutes.
- Remove crust from oven and let it cool for 10 minutes. Make your filling while it cools by combining all filling ingredients in a large bowl: pumpkin puree, coconut milk, maple syrup, pumpkin pie spice, cinnamon, salt, and vanilla extract. Pour the filling over the crust and smooth it our evenly with a spatula. Bake for 12 minutes.
- Remove baking dish from oven and top with the rest of the streusel topping (you should have 1/3 of the crust/topping mixture left). Sprinkle evenly across filling (add pecans now as well if you'd like to add those), then put back in the oven to bake for 30 minutes. Let the bars cool for at least an hour before slicing and serving.