These Vegan Pumpkin-Cinnamon-Chestnut Rolls are a sweet treat that do not come with all the sugar of your typical cinnamon roll! Because of the spelt grain, the low amount of added sugar, and fat, these autumn rolls are a sweet treat that you can enjoy with a good conscience. Topping them with the glaze makes them even more amazing!
Pumpkin-Cinnamon-Chestnut Rolls [Vegan]
- 1 + 3/4 cup Spelt flour
- 1 cup All purpose pastry flour (organic)
- 1 pack instant yeast (or 2 + 2/3 tablespoons fresh)
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 cup Almond Drink
- 1/4 tablespoon Salt
- 1/4 tablespoon Cardamon
- 2 tablespoons Vegan Butter (Margarine)
- 1/4 cup Pumpkin Puree (homemade)
- 1/2 tablespoon Cinnamon
- Pumpkin spice (if you want), Thyme to taste
- 3 tablespoons Vegan Butter (Margarine)
- 1/4 Hokaindo Pumpkin (cooked and mashed)
- 1/3 cup Organic Cane sugar
- 3 tablespoons Coconut Syrup (or Agave)
- 2 handfuls Chestnut chopped (fresh roasted & peeled) or Pre-peeled
- 1/2 tablespoon Curcuma powder (for the yellow color)
- 1 tablespoon Cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon Vegan Butter (Margarine)
- 2 cups Powdered Sugar
- 2-4 tablespoons Almond milk
- For the dough, in a large mixing bowl in the microwave (or in a small saucepan over medium heat), heat the almond milk and vegan butter until warm and melted, never reaching boiling. Remove from microwave (or stovetop) and let cool to 110°F, or the temperature of bath water. It should be warm but not too hot or it will kill the yeast. If warmed on the stovetop, transfer mixture to a large mixing bowl at this point.
- Sprinkle on yeast (dry or fresh), sugar and let activate for 10 minutes in the mixture. In the meantime peel your pumpkin, cook it with 2 cups water (and a pinch of salt) until smooth and mix it to obtain a puree. After that, add cinnamon and cardamom to the yeast mixture and stir. Let it sit for a few minutes, then whisk in 1/4 cup of the pumpkin purée and add the salt.
- Next, add in flour 1/2 cup at a time and stir. The dough will be sticky in the transformation. When it is too thick to stir, transfer to a lightly floured surface and knead for a minute or so until it forms a loose ball, adding flour as needed (you can play with the flour until you reach a well-mixed dough).
- Now set the dough in a warm place to rise for about 40 minutes – 1 hour, or until doubled in size within a bowl.
- Take the dough out and roll it in a ca 1/4-inch thick long pizza shaped form.
- For the filling: Put the pumpkin, vegan butter, coconut syrup, cane sugar, chopped chestnuts, pinch of fresh thyme cinnamon & curcuma (always add a little pinch of black pepper when using curcuma and stir well.
- Spread the filling mixture on the rolled out dough and roll it from one side to the other. After that cut 1 + 1/2 to 2-inch thick roll slices from the dough “sausage”. Add the rolls into a pre-greased baking pan.
- Melt 1 tablespoon vegan butter, 2 tablespoon almond milk with a bit of cinnamon and 1 tablespoon coconut syrup in a saucepan. Drizzle the mixture over the rolls within the oven saucepan.
- Put the pan in the oven and bake at 350°F for 30-40 minutes until golden brown.
- For the dairy-free glaze, melt 1 tablespoon vegan butter and whisk in 2 cups powdered sugar. Mix and gradually thin with almond milk 1 teaspoon at a time until pourable but still thick. Drizzle the mixture over the rolls within the oven pan and set aside for a few minutes to cool down.
Make the toothpick dough test to ensure the Rolls are baked perfectly – Some people like the dough not completely baked through (In this case just lower the baking time 5-10 minutes)