Served over brown rice, this meaty dish is perfect for pleasing meat-eaters and vegans alike! Serve this at your next family dinner for a yummy, flavorful meal!
Puerto Rican Style Stewed Oyster Mushrooms [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 2 3/4 cups vegetable broth
- 4 tablespoons recaíto or sofrito
- 6-ounces oyster mushrooms
- 1/2 teaspoon adobo plus extra for sprinkling
- 1 cup tomato sauce
- 1/2 cup manzanilla olives
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup brown rice rinsed
To Make the Brown Rice:
- Heat a medium-sized pot over medium heat.
- Add the vegetable broth and rice and bring to a boil.
- Once the water is boiling, cover the pot and reduce the heat to low and let simmer for 40 minutes or until the rice is tender and all of the broth is absorbed.
- Remove from the heat and set aside.
To Make the Stewed Oyster Mushrooms:
- Sprinkle adobo over mushrooms and set aside.
- Heat a medium-sized skillet over medium heat.
- Add 1/4 cup of vegetable broth and the recaíto.
- Cook the recaíto for one minute then add the 1/2 cup of vegetable broth, the 1/2 teaspoon of adobo, oyster mushrooms, tomato sauce, manzanilla olives, salt, and black pepper.
- Bring to a boil and simmer for 10 minutes.
- Serve with brown rice.