Good for your belly and totally plant-based, this homemade cashew yogurt requires no crazy ingredients and is totally easy to prepare. Most of the vegan yogurts you see online are made from Thai young coconut meat – but it’s hard to crack those open, let alone find them in stores. That’s why you should try this homemade cashew yogurt. It’s a lot easier to make and super creamy. After you blend the cashews you MUST use glass and wood utensils and bowls! No more metal! Metal will kill the nice friendly bacteria that are going to make the yogurt. This homemade cashew yogurt is fantastic––you have to try it!
Homemade Probiotic Cashew Yogurt [Vegan]
- 2 cups of cashews, soaked for at least 8 hours
- 1/2 cup water
- Powder from 2 probiotic capsules
- 2-3 tbsp Grade B maple syrup
- Soak the cashews in warm water for 8 hours overnight. If you are in a pinch, soak them in boiling water for 30 minutes.
- Drain and rinse the cashews. Add to the blender with the water and the maple syrup.
- Add the blended cashews to a glass bowl. Sprinkle the probiotic powder on top of the cashew mixture then stir in with a wooden spoon.
- Cover the bowl with muslin and leave it in a warm, dark place for 24 to 48 hours.
- After 24 hours try the yogurt, it should have a foamy texture and taste slightly tart. You can leave for another 24 hours if you like your yogurt a little tarter. At 48 hours the yogurt will have a strong sour taste.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge.