This salad is a creative way to enjoy the taste and texture of falafel. In this recipe, chickpeas are roasted in a skillet until they become crispy and begin to crumble. They're then tossed with soft potatoes, tangy red onions, and savory sun-dried tomatoes. This falafel crumble salad is full of great flavors and contrasting textures. It's also easy to make and can be served as a main dish, a side salad, or a snack. The leftover crumbles are great for hummus wraps or for sprinkling over pasta.
Potato and Falafel Crumble Salad [Vegan]
- 10 small potatoes
- 1 14-ounce can of chickpeas
- A bunch of fresh cilantro
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 small red onion
- 10 sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 2 limes, juice
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon turmeric
- Salt and pepper, to serve
- Tahini, to serve
- Cut potatoes into wedges, drizzle with salt, pepper, and lime juice, then toss everything together to coat. Bake at 400°F for about 30 minutes.
- Heat up olive oil in a skillet.
- Drain and rinse chickpeas very well, then add to hot skillet. Add in garlic powder, cumin, turmeric, and salt and shake the pan to distribute the chickpeas.
- Keep cooking (and shaking the pan) for about 5-7 minutes until toasted around the edges. Set aside for 5 minutes to cool.
- After 5 minutes add chickpeas, garlic cloves, and cilantro to a food processor and process coarsely.
- Transfer the chickpea mixture back to the skillet and cook for 5 more minutes, shaking constantly, until crispy.
- Arrange potatoes on a serving plate, add sliced onion and sun-dried tomatoes, drizzle with lime juice, and top with warm chickpea crumbles. Serve warm with tahini.