Even if you aren’t vegan, this sandwich will make your taste buds dance! Eat this. It’s a much lower calorie alternative than bacon and you are getting mega health benefits. What could be better?
Portobello Mushroom BLT Sandwich [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 1 thinly sliced portobello mushroom (crimini will also work)
- 3 tsp liquid smoke
- 2 tbsp coconut aminos (see notes)
- 1 tbsp maple syrup
- 1 tbsp molasses (or more maple syrup, molasses adds darker notes)
- 1/4 tsp onion powder
- 1/4 tsp salt (or to taste)
- 1/8 tsp chili powder (or 1/4 tsp for more spice)
- 1/8 tsp garlic powder
- 1/8 tsp clove
- 3 tbsp vegan mayo
- 1 tsp dry mustard powder
- 1 tomato
- 2-4 romaine lettuce leaves
- 2 slices of your favorite bread, toasted
- Mix all of the ingredients for the portobello mushroom bacon except for the first ingredient (the mushrooms). Stir well and set aside.
- Lay the sliced mushrooms into a skillet and pour the bacon flavor mixture over the bacon.
- Cook on each side for 3-5 minutes until the mushrooms have cooked down to about half their original size or until the liquid has absorbed and browned on the mushrooms.
- While the mushrooms are browning, mix your mayo and set aside.
- Toast your Ezekiel bread (or bread of choice) and spread the mayo on each slice.
- Thinly slice the tomato and layer the tomato and lettuce leaves on the bread. Then, top with bacon.
You can also use Braggs liquid aminos (slightly more bitter, but very tasty/flavorful) or soy sauce (eliminate added salt) in place of the coconut aminos. I prefer my bacon a little lighter. If you don’t have liquid smoke, use smoked paprika and add a little olive oil to the pan instead. This recipe is gluten-free so make sure the bread you choose is also if that's a concern.