This Polish recipe with young potatoes and soft, tender cabbage leaves is simple and delicious! Seasoned generously with coconut oil, fresh dill, pepper, and thyme, this dish is a breeze to make but packs a tremendous amount of flavor. To balance out the warm flavors of the potatoes and cabbage, we suggest pairing this Polish dish with some fresh shredded vegetables like carrots or beets!
Polish Cabbage and Potatoes [Vegan]
- 1 large or 2 medium white cabbages
- 3 onions
- 1 garlic clove
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 1 bay leaf
- 4-5 pepper grains
- Freshly ground pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups of water
- A dash of dried thyme
- A teaspoon majeron
- Fresh dill, to taste
- Young potatoes peeled, cut in small pieces, and cooked
- A few medium carrots
- 3 tablespoons of apple cider vinegar
- Wash the cabbage and cut two onions into small pieces.
- Heat coconut oil in large cooking pan and add the onions into the cooking pan. Cook until the onions are soft and brown.
- In the meantime, cut the cabbage into small pieces.
- Once the onions are soft, add the cabbage into the pan. Add bay leaf and all spices. Cook the cabbage for about 20 minutes until it becomes soft.
- Once the cabbage is soft, add one cup of water. Cover the pan now and let it simmer for another 20/30 minutes stirring regularly on medium high heat. Check water levels in between. When the cabbage becomes too dry, add one more cup of water. Cook cabbage until all cabbage is more soft and the flavors are well combined (taste to try).
- In the meantime, cook the potatoes until they are soft in a different pan with water.
- Cut fresh dill. Add 3/4 of fresh dill to the cabbage in the final minutes of cooking and stir.
- Serve the boiled potatoes and cabbage adding more dill over the potatoes. Add spices (freshly ground pepper and salt) to taste.