This meal has got everything your hungry heart desires. The base is a creamy polenta that is topped with tender stir-fried vegetables and some delicious crispy tofu to finish off the plate. And the best part is, it tastes as good as it looks.
Polenta With Mixed Peppers, Mushrooms, and Crispy Tofu [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
For the Polenta:
- 1 cup quick cook polenta
- 4 cups boiling water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon salt
- Black pepper, to taste
For the Vegetables:
- 1 large red pepper
- 1 large green pepper
- 1 large yellow pepper
- 1 onion
- 7 ounces Baby Button mushrooms
- 2 tablespoon tomato paste
- 2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 2 ounces capers
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the Tofu:
- 1 14-ounce block tofu
- Salt, pepper and garlic powder, to taste
- Gluten-free flour
- Cook the polenta according to the instructions on your label.
- Season with plenty of salt and pepper and some olive oil to taste.
- Then finely chop up an onion, halve the baby button mushrooms, and cut all peppers into thin slices.
- Start sautéing the onion in some olive oil, then add the mushrooms and peppers.
- Add all other mixed red pepper and mushroom ingredients.
- Add salt and pepper to taste. Cook the whole thing for about 10-15 minutes or until the peppers soften. Add a bit of water while cooking so the veggies don't get too dry and burn.
- Take your tofu and cut it into thin slices.
- Season these well on both sides with salt, pepper, and garlic powder.
- Then sprinkle some flour on a plate.
- Take the seasoned tofu and dip it into the flour. Make sure it's coated on both sides. The layer of flour will help to lock in the flavors and give it a nice crispiness.
- Pan-fry the tofu in some oil.
- Serve the dish by pouring the polenta on a plate creating a well in the middle. Then add the peppers and mushrooms and top with the pan-fried tofu.