This vegan polenta frittata l is here to answer your savory breakfast prayers! Polenta mixed with spices, fresh cherry tomatoes, and white mushrooms are baked in the oven until crisp on the outside, and indescribably "eggy" on the inside. The end result was savory bliss that resembles egg frittata bakes.
Polenta Frittata With Mushroom, Tomato, and Basil [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 4-5 garlic cloves
- 1 onion
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- 10.5 ounces White Button mushrooms
- 1 teaspoon more coconut oil
- 1/3 cup nutritional yeast
- A pinch paprika
- A pinch cayenne (optional)
- Lots of sea salt and pepper
- Approximately 1 cup instant polenta
- 3 cups, plus 2 3/4 tablespoons vegetable broth
- 5.5 ounces cherry tomatoes, halved
- Fresh basil, for topping
- Sesame seeds, for topping
- Preheat oven to broil. Chop your garlic and onion, and add to a cast iron skillet with 1 tablespoon coconut oil. Cook on medium-high heat stirring occasionally until onion becomes translucent in colour (approximately 10 minutes). Chop mushrooms and add to skillet. Cook until softened (approximately 10 more minutes). Remove cooked veg from skillet.
- In a mixing bowl add your polenta, nutritional yeast, paprika, cayenne, and salt and pepper. Mix to combine. Add 1 tablespoon coconut oil to pan (still on medium-high heat) and toss in your polenta mixture. Gradually pour in vegetable stock, beating polenta as you go to prevent lumps. Keep beating the polenta until the mixture thickens and starts to bubble. Then add cooked veg back to the skillet, stir to combine and season with more sea salt and pepper.
- Remove pan from heat and top polenta with chopped cherry tomatoes. Place polenta frittata in the oven to broil for approximately 10 minutes, or until cherry tomatoes are bright and bursted.
- Remove polenta frittata from oven, allow to cool slightly, and top with fresh basil leaves. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.