Now this is what one-pot meals are all about! If you’ve ever had a supreme pizza before, you know what you’re getting yourself into. You’ve got the umami kick from the mushrooms and sun-dried tomatoes, the salty goodness of black olives, the Italian influence from the olive oil and oregano— with this many great flavors complementing one another, you can’t go wrong. When it comes to prep, there’s no need to boil your pasta first. Simply mix everything together in a casserole dish, cover and bake. Combine the sauce first before adding in the veggies and pasta, to make sure it all gets mixed together well. Reprinted with permission from Effortless Vegan by Sarah Nevins, Page Street Publishing Co. 2020. Photo credit: Sarah Nevins
Pizza Supreme Casserole [Vegan]
- 1 tablespoon (15 ml) extra virgin olive oil
- 4 cups (960 ml) marinara sauce
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) unsweetened almond milk
- 3 tablespoons (12 g) nutritional yeast
- 2 teaspoon (2 g) dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup (27 g) chopped sun-dried tomatoes (in oil)
- 5 baby bella mushrooms, sliced
- 1/4 cup (45 g) black olives, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 10 oz (283 g) gluten-free vegan fusilli
- 11⁄2 cups (155 g) vegan mozzarella
- A small handful of fresh basil
- Vegan Parmesan
- Preheat your oven to 425°F (220°C, or gas mark 7) with a rack positioned in the middle of the oven. Grease a 9 x 13–inch (23 x 33–cm) casserole dish with olive oil.
- Add the marinara sauce, almond milk, nutritional yeast, oregano, garlic powder, onion powder and salt to the casserole dish. Stir together until fully combined.
- Stir in the sun-dried tomatoes, mushrooms, olives and bell pepper, and mix throughout the sauce. Add in the pasta. Make sure to cover the pasta fully in sauce.
- Cover the dish with foil and place it in the middle of the preheated oven. Bake for 30 minutes. Uncover and stir. Top with vegan mozzarella and place back in the oven. Bake for 10 minutes, or until the pasta is tender.
- Top with fresh basil and vegan Parmesan. Serve warm. Leftovers can be kept in the refrigerator for 3 to 4 days.