I've made a whole lot of truffles and I think that I've finally perfected the truffle formula to be healthy, chewy, and decadent. It tastes like you're eating a rich chocolate, but really you're eating dates and cocoa powder. These beauties are gluten-free, refined sugar-free, and vegan. But you don't have to tell anyone! As for the booze inside the truffles, I chose rum, but I'm willing to bet bourbon, red wine, and other flavored liqueurs would taste just as good!
Pistachio Chocolate Truffles [Vegan, Gluten-Free]
- 10 medjool dates, pitted
- 3-4 T. pure maple syrup
- 2 T. coconut oil, softened
- 1/2 c. unsweetened coconut, shredded
- 1/4 c. coconut rum
- 1/4 c. unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/3 c. pistachios, for rolling
- In a food processor, place your pistachios and grind them into small pieces. Pour them out into a container and set aside.
- After, combine the dates, syrup, oil, coconut, rum, and cocoa powder in the food processor. Puree until smooth.
- Using a cookie scoop, take dollops of the truffle batter and roll them around in the pistachios. Repeat this with all of the batter. Place finished truffles on a plate or parchment paper. Stick the truffles in the freezer for an hour to set.
- For softer, chewier truffles, transfer them to the fridge after they set. You will not believe how delicious these truffles are!