There’s nothing like a retro dessert. This recipe always reminds me of birthdays in college when my friend used to make pineapple upside-down cake for me and my friends. Back then neither of us were vegan and used eggs with willful abandon. This version is more hen-friendly, but is full of nostalgia nonetheless.
Pineapple Upside-Down Cake [Vegan]
- 3.5 Tbsp. vegan butter
- ¼ cup of granulated sugar, plus another ¾ cup for the cake batter
- 3-4 rings of fresh or canned pineapple
- A few glacé cherries (You could use little pieces of strawberry too if you aren't a glacé cherry fan)
- 1/3 cup non-dairy milk mixed with 1 tsp. apple cider/white vinegar
- 1 tsp. vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup rapeseed oil
- 1 1/3 cup plain flour
- ½ tsp. baking powder
- ¾ tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- Preheat your oven to 350ºF. In a bowl or jug, whisk together the vinegar and milk and set aside.
- Cream together ¼ cup of sugar and vegan butter and spread them generously around the bottom and sides of the cake tin. Place the pineapple slices on the base of the cake tin. You can cut up some of the rings to cover more area in pineapple. Poke a few cherries into the middle of the pineapple rings and a few surrounding them if you wish.
- Begin to make the cake batter. In a large baking bowl, sieve together the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt and mix well.
- To the milk and vinegar, whisk in the oil, sugar and vanilla extract. Gently mix the wet ingredients in with the dry ingredients.
- Pour the cake batter over the pineapple in the baking tin and tap to remove air bubbles. Place in the oven for ~50 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the middle comes out clean.
- Allow the cake to cool in the tin for about 10-15 minutes, then run a spatula or knife around the edge of the tin to free the cake. Place a plate over the opening of the tin and in a swift (and tense!) movement, flip the cake over onto the plate. Ta-da!
Be careful the cherries do not contain E120, cochineal or carmine as these aren’t vegan
Discover more recipes with these ingredients
Total Calories: 2373| Total Carbs: 324g | Total Fat: 113g | Total Protein: 20g | Total Sodium: 414mg | Total Sugar: 200g Note: The information shown is based on available ingredients and preparation. It should not be considered a substitute for a professional nutritionist’s advice.
Hidden for desktop / visible for mobile
This did not come out like batter, it was like a pie crust. I had to add juice an applesauce to make a batter.