A recipe for dark and spice crusted chickpeas, in the punjabi style of cooking. The soft chickpeas here are coated with spices, finished off with toasted ginger and chrushed dried pomegranate seeds.
Pindi Choley: Dark and Spicy Chickpeas [Vegan]
- 3/4 cup chana (dried chickpeas) (soaked overnight
- 2 cups of water
- 1 black teabag (this is for color)
- Salt to taste
- 2 black cardamoms
- 2 to 3 cloves
- 2 green cardamoms
- 1 large (about 2 inch stick) cinnamon
- 3 tablespoons oil
- 1 teaspoon whole cumin seeds
- 1 medium sized red onion, diced
- 1 tablespoon freshly grated ginger
- 3/4 teaspoon amchur (dried mango powder) (can be substituted with juice of a lime
- 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon red chili powder
- 1 teaspoon oil
- 1 tablespoon very finely diced ginger (you can add in julienned pieces if desired)
- 1 teaspoon dried pomegranate seeds (anardana)
- Place the chickpeas in the pressure cooker, with the water, tea bag, salt, cinnamon, cloves and black and green cardamoms and cook for 35 to 40 minutes. The key to this dish is soft and well cooked chickpeas.
- Cool and remove the lid, strain the chickpeas and reserve the water after discarding the tea bag and whole spices.
- Heat the oil and add the cumin seeds and with the seeds begin to sizzle add in the onion and ginger.
- Cook the onion until the onion is soft and turning gently golden, add in the chickpeas and stir well.
- Add in the dried mango powder, black pepper and the red chili powder and add in the reserved spice water and simmer and cook until all the water is absorbed.
- To finish, heat the remaining teaspoon oil add in the ginger and saute for about 1 minute.
- Pour this over the chickpeas.
- Crush the chickpeas and pour over the chickpeas. Serve hot with sliced red onions if desired.