These pickled red onions have the ability to instantly transform a number of dishes. Throw them into creamy potato salads, tacos, or veggie burgers for a tangy burst of flavor. They also make a perfectly sweet companion for avocados. Use these pickled red onions however you see fit. The more you use them, the more ideas you'll come up with.
Pickled Red Onions [Vegan]
- 3 cups of water
- 1 large red onion, sliced thinly into rounds
- 1/2 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup apple cider vinegar or white wine vinegar
- 1 small jalapeno, seeded and sliced thinly
- 4 black peppercorns
- 1 garlic clove, sliced thinly
- 2 sprigs of thyme
- Boil 3 cups of water.
- Set a mesh strainer over a bowl. Place the sliced onions in the strainer. Pour the water over the onions, let them sit for a minute, and then wash under cold running water. Drain completely and set aside.
- Mix together the sugar, salt, vinegar, jalapeno, peppercorns, and garlic in a jar.
- Place the drained onions into the jar. Place the thyme sprigs on top. Cover it with the lid. Refrigerate for at least 2 hours, and for up to 1 week.