This beautiful braided bread with fresh cashew-basil pesto will be a new family staple! Its soft and doughy texture makes it ideal for soaking up lots of tomato sauce, making it the perfect bread for pasta night.
Pesto Twist [Vegan]
- 1 cup warm water
- 2 1/4 teaspoons active dry yeast
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 cups flour
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 2 cups fresh basil
- 1 tablespoon nutritional yeast
- 1/4 cup cashews
- 2 cloves garlic, roughly chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh squeezed lemon juice
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- Salt, to taste
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- Add yeast to warm water allow to set until frothy. Add olive oil.
- In a large bowl, add flour, sugar, and salt. Give a quick stir so all of the ingredients are evenly distributed.Add yeast mixture into the bowl and mix until the dough is shaggy. Turn out onto floured surface and knead for a few minutes, until dough forms a smooth ball. Grease your bowl and put your dough back in. Cover with a damp tea towel and allow to rise for 2-3 hours.
- Meanwhile, make your pesto. Add all ingredients into a blender or food processor and whizz until smooth. Set aside.
- Pre-heat oven to 350°F.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll out dough, and shape into a thin rectangle.
- With a spoon, spread out your pesto.
- With the long side facing you, pick up the edge, and tightly roll up the dough just as you would to make cinnamon rolls or a jelly roll. Transfer to a lined baking sheet.
- Cut down the center of the entire length of the roll, creating two long pieces. Loosely wrap the pieces around each other a few times. Take both ends of the twist and gently tuck them underneath.
- Place in the oven and bake for 30-35 minutes.