This pesto salad is full of flavor and very simple and easy to make. This pasta salad can be enjoyed hot or cold and stores well as leftovers.
Pesto Salad [Vegan]
Ingredients You Need for Pesto Salad [Vegan]
For the Pesto:
- 1 cup walnuts
- 2 cups fresh basil, packed
- Juice from 1 medium lemon
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup olive oil
For the Pasta Salad:
- 8 oz. farfalle
- 1/2 cup Vegan Pesto
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
How to Prepare Pesto Salad [Vegan]
- In a small saucepan over medium heat, toast walnuts until fragrant and light golden brown.
- Add toasted walnuts to a food processor along with fresh basil, lemon juice and zest, nutritional yeast, garlic, and salt. Blitz until a coarse paste forms. Turn on the low setting on the food processor and slowly pour in the olive oil. Process until the pesto is smooth and oil is incorporated.
- Transfer pesto to an airtight jar and store in the fridge.
- Cook pasta according to the package directions. Reserve ¼ cup pasta water. Drain and add back to the cooking pot. For every 8 oz. pasta add ½ cup pesto and 2-3 tbsp of pasta water to break up the pesto into the sauce. Add more pesto as desired. Stir in cherry tomatoes.
- Serve pesto with freshly cracked black pepper.
Store leftover pesto in an airtight jar, such as a mason jar. Store in the fridge for up to a week. Alternatively, you can freeze leftover pesto for up to 6 months.
Report Recipe Issue
Please report any concerns about this recipe below!
Is there an issue with this recipe?
Help keep One Green Planet free and independent! Together we can ensure our platform remains a hub for empowering ideas committed to fighting for a sustainable, healthy, and compassionate world. Please support us in keeping our mission strong.