This pesto pasta salad is easy to make and oil-free! Typical pesto is mostly oil, which adds TONS of processed and unnecessary fat. With a few tweaks, you’ve got more bang (aka nutrients) for your buck (aka calories).
Pesto Pasta Salad [Vegan, Oil-Free]
For the Pesto:
- 2 cups fresh basil
- 1/4 cup raw walnuts
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 5 garlic cloves
- 1 lemon, juiced or 2 T lemon juice
- 1/2 block tofu, drained (8 oz) firm or extra-firm
- 1/2 tsp salt adjust as desired
- ground black pepper
For the Salad:
- 12 oz 100% whole grain pasta, cooked per package instructions
- 1 cup broccoli, chopped
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes, quartered
- 1 cup red onions, diced
- 1 cup bell pepper, diced yellow or orange
- Place all pesto ingredients in a food processor, blend until smooth.
- Cook pasta per package instructions. Drain.
- Add all salad ingredients to a large mixing bowl. Add pesto and mix until combine.
- Refrigerate at least 1 hour prior to serving.