What makes this peri peri sauce and oven baked carrot fries so healthy and nourishing for the soul and body? Carrots and chili peppers have a slew of benefits like skin and eye health, digestion, muscle recovery, and more. The Peri Peri sauce is made with birds eye red peppers. These type of peppers are often found in Portuguese, African, or Thai cooking. And they pack some serious heat! But don’t worry, this Peri Peri Sauce has been a little tamed. Now combine that spicy peri peri goodness with oven baked carrot fries and you got yourself a MEGA flavorful superfood snack.
Easy Peri Peri Oven-Baked Carrot Fries [Vegan, Grain-Free]
For the Carrot Fries:
- 1 pound large carrots, sliced
- Additional salt, pepper, or seasoning for after baking
- Cilantro for garnishing
For the Peri Peri Sauce:
- 5 red chili peppers or birds eye chilis
- 2-3 jalapeños or milder peppers of choice
- 3-4 garlic cloves
- 1/3 cup red onion, chopped
- 1/2 cup cilantro
- 1/4 cup fresh oregano or basil, or both
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4-1/3 cup olive or avocado oil
- 1/2 lemon, juiced
- 1/2-1 tablespoon chili flakes
- Pinch of cayenne (optional)
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Slice carrots 1/2-inch thick, 4-inches long. Removing the tops. Slice thinner if you want crispier fries at the ends.
- Put carrots in large ziplock bag or container.
- Next chop of top to peppers, cut your onion, and peel your garlic. Remove stems from cilantro and herbs.
- Place in food processor and blender. Add the remaining ingredients (spices, lemon, etc) but leaving out the red wine vinegar.
- Blend on high until creamy. You might have to keep it on high or low for a good 3 minutes.
- Next add your vinegars and blend again. Taste to see if it needs more salt/seasoning.
- Place 1/2 cup of the sauce. in the bag with the carrots. Let it marinade for 10-15 minutes. Keep the other 1/2 cup for dipping.
- Once carrots are marinated, place on greased baking sheets, spreading the carrots out evenly.
- Bake on sheet pan at 450°F for 20 minutes. Flip carrot fries over with a spatula and bake another 15-25 minutes or until crispy edges. If you want extra crispy, broil last minute. note flipping and baking extra is not really necessary but does help them cook evenly and make them crispier.
- Remove from oven. Let them cool slightly or serve hot with the extra peri peri sauce or a even a mayo/aioli of choice. Garnish carrot fries with extra cilantro and red pepper flakes if desired.
If you want the peri peri sauce extra spicy, use all birds eye peppers. If you want it milder, use red pepper or green peppers mixed in with the birds eye peppers. Flipping and baking extra is not really necessary but does help them cook evenly and make them crispier.