Oatmeal banana bread is a super easy and delicious baked good to make for any occasion. It's perfect for when you have extra ripe bananas to use up. It also doesn’t need much sugar since the bananas are a great sweeten and oats bring out the sweetness. Make sure your bananas are really ripe; there should be more black than yellow. That’s the secret to a good banana bread! This oatmeal banana bread is vegan, nut-free, soy-free and oil-free! It has pear for extra flavour, but if you want a plain banana bread, or don’t have ripe pears, it is also good without the pear.
Pear Oatmeal Banana Bread [Vegan]
- 1 tablespoon flax seeds
- 1 cup whole spelt flour
- 3/4 cup rolled oats
- 1/3 cup maple sugar
- 2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon fine sea salt
- 3 very ripe bananas
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 ripe pear, peeled and diced
- Preheat oven to 350°F and line a glass bread pan with parchment paper.
- Make a flax egg: grind the flax seeds and mix with 3 tablespoons water. Set aside until gelatinous.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix flour, oats, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt with a whisk.
- In a small bowl, mash bananas. Mix in the vanilla and flax egg.
- Add the mashed banana mixture to the flour mixture and mix with a spoon until combined. Stir in peeled and diced pear.
- Transfer mixture to the prepared bread pan and bake for 1 hour.