You will love this pasta bolognese! This traditionally meaty Italian dish is given a vegan makeover with beefy soy protein crumbles. The delicious homemade sauce gives this entrée that authentic Italian flavor. Yum!
Pasta Bolognese [Vegan]
- 2 cups textured vegetable protein (TVP)
- 2/3 cups vegetable broth
- 2/3 cups red wine
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 of 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped
- 1 medium celery stalk, finely chopped
- 4.23 ounces mushrooms, finely chopped
- 1/2 of 1 small green pepper, finely chopped
- 2 medium garlic cloves, minced
- 1 14-ounce can of crushed tomatoes
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- Heat a large saucepan over medium heat. Add the textured soy, vegetable broth, red wine, and soy sauce. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring frequently, until the soy is soft and most of the liquids are absorbed, about 10 minutes. Pour into a bowl and set aside.
- Heat the oil in the same saucepan over medium heat. Stir in the onion, carrot, celery, mushrooms, green pepper, garlic, crushed tomatoes, salt, and pepper. Reduce the heat to medium-low and cook, stirring frequently, until the vegetables are soft, about 15 minutes. Add the textured soy and the oregano, mix well with a wooden spoon. Cook, stirring frequently and scraping the bottom of the pot, until it is thick and fragrant, around 5 minutes.
- Toss with warm cooked pasta.