These unique parsnip and mushroom tacos have a little bit of every flavor. Parsnips provide just the right amount of sweetness, the sauerkraut is sour, the crema is salty, and the mushrooms add umami. Any kind of mushroom is suitable for these tacos, so experiment with variety and find the one that you like best! The guac is entirely optional, but we definitely wouldn't skip on it.
Parsnip Mushroom Tacos With Coriander Crema [Vegan]
For the Tacos:
- 1/2 of red onion
- 2 cups of mushrooms of your choice, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2 teaspoons of coconut oil or avocado oil
- 3/4 cup raw parsnip, grated
- Chili peppers, sliced (optional)
- 4 tortillas of your choice
- A handful of arugula or other bitter greens
- Juice of half lime
- Sauerkraut (optional)
For the Coriander Crema:
- 1 cup of black beans, cooked
- 1/3 cup coconut milk
- 1 clove garlic
- 1 teaspoon coriander
For the Optional Guac:
- 2 avocados
- handful cilantro
- 1 scallion
- Salt, to taste
- Juice of 1/2 of a lime
To Make the Tacos:
- Chop the onion and add to pan with coconut oil or avocado oil. Sauté until onions are translucent, approximately 4-5 min.
- Add mushrooms to pan with the salt and pepper sauté for 5 more min or mushrooms start to brown. Remove from heat and set aside.
To Make the Coriander Crema:
- Place the black beans, coconut milk, garlic, and coriander into a food processor and process until smooth. You may need to add a splash of water to thin it out.
To Make the Guac:
- Mash the avocado and add chopped cilantro, scallion, salt and lime juice.
- To assemble tacos, spread thin layer of coriander crema, add mushrooms, arugula, parsnips, and add the guac and sauerkraut, if using. Squeeze the lime juice on top and top with chili peppers, if you want it spicy.