Everyone has heard of penne alla vodka, but if you're looking to surprise your guests with an equally enticing meal, try this veggie version which uses parsnip ribbons! This unique dish may use a different pasta base, but the sauce is essentially the same: tomatoes, cream, vodka, and spices. The only difference is that the cream in this recipe is cashew based! The result is a decadent (but still energizing) fettuccine-like dish with an ultra creamy and flavorful sauce. Yum!
Parsnip alla Vodka [Vegan]
- 1/2 cup of soaked cashews
- 2 medium sized roma tomatoes, diced
- 1 13-ounce can of diced tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1/2-3/4 cup coconut milk
- A pinch of sea salt
- A handful of basil leaves
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 small onion
- A bunch of fresh parsley, finely chopped
- 1/2 cup vodka
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 large parsnips
- To start off, you will create your parsnip noodles. Using a regular vegetable peeler, take off the first layer (similar to peeling a carrot). From there, you will start using your peel to create thick ribbon like "noodles." Peel as many ribbon noodles as you can and set aside.
- For the sauce, in a medium to large sized pot, heat olive oil and add onion and garlic until softened/translucent. Next, add tomatoes (both fresh and canned), tomato paste, coconut milk, chopped basil, salt, pepper, and vodka and let simmer for about 20 minutes until all is combined.
- Let the mixture in the pot cool and then add to blender or food processor with your soaked cashews (don’t wash your sauce pot just yet! Set it aside). Blend together until you have a creamy light orange colored vodka sauce.
- Finally, pour the sauce back into the pot and add in your parsnip noodles. Let cook covered for about 15 minutes or until the parsnip is somewhat softened.
- Toss with finely chopped parsley and a drizzle of olive oil and serve.