These spicy tofu steaks, tangy herb dressing and fresh, crunchy greens combined to create a delicious meal – in less than 30 minutes! High five, tofu!
Pan-Fried Tofu Steaks With Coriander Cream and Asparagus [Vegan]
- 1 small packet (organic, non-GMO) extra-firm tofu, cut in half lengthways and sideways to make 4 ‘steaks’
- 1 bunch coriander leaves and stems, washed and coarsley chopped
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup raw macadamia nuts (or pine nuts)
- 3 tsp crushed ginger
- 3 tsp crushed garlic
- 1 red chili, chopped
- 6 asparagus spears, chopped in half
- 1 small broccoli head, chopped into small ‘trees’
- 1 lemon
- 4 spring onions, chopped
- 3 tbsp tamari (or soy sauce)
- 2 tbsp oil (coconut or sesame)
- The night before (or as early as possible), soak macadamias in a bowl of water in the fridge (you can skip this step if you have a high-powered blender like a Vitamix).
- Add coriander, drained macadamia nuts, 1tsp ginger, 1tsp garlic, ½ cup water, juice from half the lemon, and 2 spring onions to a high-speed blender or food processor and blend on high until smooth and creamy. Season with cracked black pepper and sea salt.
- Heat oil in a large frypan over medium heat and add 2tsp garlic, 2tsp ginger, red chilli and tamari.
- Add tofu steaks to the centre of the pan, and broccoli and asparagus around the outside edges of the pan.
- Sear tofu for a few minutes on one side, whilst turning the greens regularly.
- Flip the tofu steaks and sear on the other side for a few minutes, whilst again turning the greens regularly.
- On plates, top tofu steaks with coriander cream and greens. Sprinkle with remaining spring onions, and serve with remaining lemon wedges and turmeric rice.
Coriander Cream was inspired by Snacking on Sunshine’s Coconut-Cilantro Dressing